Sunday, November 10, 2013

RAIN

That´s right, it rained. And not anything cute like oh hey it rained! IT RAINED. It really wasn´t even that bad but you better believe I looked like a mop running around outside. So on Friday, it was about 90 something degrees. I was on divisions with Hermana Johansen, we were working in her area and had a lot of set visits so it was pretty exciting. We are teaching this woman, and all of a sudden winds pick up and it´s freezing. We are in the forest part so trees and branches are swaying and I feel like it´s a tornado. So we cut the lesson short because everyone is starting to go inside their houses. Hermana and I are starting to walk back home; INSTANT RAINFALL. Literally I thought I was being followed around by a man with a bucket of never ending cold water. I was drenched; and cold; and gross. But the work must go on! The power went out all over Bella Vista so that was fun. No one would let us in either but oh well. So yeah - RAIN! That morning we had a lunch with a less active family. We are eating outside and this man comes up to their house and wants to get a fridge from Hermano Rojas. Yeah a fridge. I don´t know I just kept eating. They have two adorable boys. Maximus he is 4 and Simon who is 2. We are sitting and talking to Hermana Rojas and all of a sudden she interrupts the spiritual thought and starts yelling at Maximus, we look over. THE CHILD IS HOLDING THE HEAD OF A GOAT! That´s right; the head of a goat, by its horns. Now I want you all to picture Bam Bam from the Flinstones before he has his haircut. Blonde curly long hair=Maximus. So picture Bam Bam holding a goats head because he thinks it´s funny. I almost screamed – I was terrified. That night when we switched back we had a Noche de Hogar with the familia Duarte. They are such an amazing strong family. We were there and they made us BROWNIES. Do you know the last time I had a brownie? I don’t even know! It was delicious. And perfect for such a cold and stormy day. It´s come to me that every day is a miracle here on the mission. Yeah it´s hard, but every hard day we are reminded why we are here. This week was filled with heartbreak, tears, frustration, but also, pure joy, hope and peace. We finally found Gisela and Sergio. They had been traveling and we haven’t been able to see them since they went to church and our mission president called everyone to repentance. (Which was great!) It really was important to be done in our branch, and we have seen such a difference with our members. But unfortunately Gisela explained to us that it scared them. They are scared to go to our church, immediate heartbreak. She said that she is content with her religion, she´s comfortable. I hate that. But she said that maybe with time there will be a change. Right then I had a stab of discouragement because I thought it was over with this beautiful family. I didn´t know how to react what to say. So we just testified. She told us that Sergio, who hardly ever does commitments, and is always leaving during our lessons, is reading the Book of Mormon. Pure joy. Right there I knew that there was hope. I knew that that tender mercy from the Lord was telling us to not give up, just work a bit harder. We have a new investigator named Mirta. When Mirta was 11 years old her father passed away. Her mom hit the liquor pretty hard after that. Mirta raised herself, and her 6 brothers and sisters. One of whom is deaf and can´t speak. When she was 14 she met a man and they loved each other. They had 3 children. Their youngest is Gabriel who is 25. Gabriel can´t walk, can´t speak, can´t see. He is 25, but is about 1 years old. 20 days ago her abusive husband left her to raise Gabriel alone. Right now it´s not my point to sound dramatic or be a downer on the day, it´s more of a ‘Hey!, our lives are hard. But you gotta keep your head up.’ Last night we had a lesson with Mirta and taught her about The Plan of Salvation. When we got to resurrection she leaned over and held Gabriel and cried because she knows he will be perfect. The spirit was so strong and I love Mirta so much. Her patience and love is so Christ-like, you know that she is a choice spirit. She is a strong daughter chosen to take care of this angel. Yeah days are hard. I get it. I am so grateful though that I have the knowledge of why this life is worth living. I love you all and I know that with faith comes hope for better days. xoxo Hermana Healey P.s. Transfers are this week. I have a huge feeling I´m leaving but my DL thinks he is psychic and says I´m not so we will see. I´ll let you know what happens next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment